July 04, 2017
OPEN CALLS FOR NOMINATIONS
FOR THE 2017 VIETNAM HUMAN RIGHTS AWARD
The Vietnam Human Rights Network (VNHRN) will be accepting nominations for the 2017 Vietnam Human Rights Award (VNHRA) from now until September 30, 2017.
VNHRA was founded in 2002 with the purpose of providing recognition to the outstanding works in the field of human rights in Vietnam. It is also an opportunity to express solidarity with and support for those involved in the relentless fighting for basic rights and justice for Vietnamese people.
Since its establishment the VNHRA has been presented to a number of human rights activists in Vietnam, including Most Ven. Thich Quang Do, Rev. Nguyen Van Ly (2002); Mr. Nguyen Vu Binh, Mr. Le Chi Quang, Dr. Pham Hong Son, Mr. Nguyen Khac Toan (2003); Mr. Pham Que Duong, Dr. Nguyen Dan Que (2004); Mr. Le Quang Liem, Father Phan Van Loi, Ven. Thich Tue Sy (2005); Mr. Do Nam Hai, Mr. Nguyen Chinh Ket, Mr. Hoang Minh Chinh (2006); Lawyer Nguyen Van Dai, Lawyer Le Thi Cong Nhan (2007); Ven. Thich Thien Minh, Blogger Dieu Cay Nguyen Van Hai, Tu Do Ngon Luan Magazine (2008); Pastor Nguyen cong Chinh, Writer Tran Khai Thanh Thuy (2009); Journalist Truong Minh Duc, Mr. Doan Huy Chuong (2010); Dr. Cu Huy Ha Vu, Ms. Do Thi Minh Hanh (2011); Blogger Ta Phong Tan, Ms. Pham Thanh Nghien, Ms. Huynh Thuc Vy (2012), Mr. Nguyen Hoang Quoc Hung, Lawyer Le Quoc Quan, and Mr. Tran Huynh Duy Thuc (2013); the Vietnam Redemptorist Province, Mr. Nguyen Bac Truyen, Musicians Tran Vu Anh Binh and Viet Khang (2014): Most Ven. Thich Khong Tanh, Mrs. Ho Thi Bich Khuong, and Mrs. Bui Thi Minh Hang (2015); The Vietnamese Bloggers’ Network, Lawyer Vo An Don, and two activists for victimes of injustice Ms. Tran Ngoc Anh and Ms. Can Thi Theu (2016).
A large number of the VNHRA recipients are currently in jail or under house arrest. VHRN continues to call on the world to show its concern for the Vietnamese people’s lack of freedom and human rights, especially the VNHRA recipients.
This year's VNHRA ceremony will be organized in conjunction with the commemoration of the 69th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights in December, 2017. The Award winner(s) will be officially announced in mid-November, 2017.
- Nominee must be an individual currently living or a non-governmental organization still active in Vietnam;
- Nominee must be involved in non-violent works for the promotion and protection of Vietnamese people’s human rights;
- The nominee's works have generated positive influence inside and outside of Vietnam.
- Nominations may be submitted by either an individual or an organization. There is no limit to the number of nominations a nominator can make, but no self-nominations will be accepted;
- Nominations should be made using the nomination form below; however, a letter containing the required information is acceptable.
- Supporting documents (highly recommended, including writing materials and/or statements of the nominee, and writings about the nominee already or to be published).
Nomination forms must be submitted no later than September 30, 2017 to:
Vietnam Human Rights Network
8971 Colchester Ave.
Westminster, CA 92683 – USA
VIETNAM HUMAN RIGHTS AWARD 2017
1. Brief biography of the nominee
2. Nominee’s works related to human rights for Vietnamese people (Achievement, published and unpublished writings, incurred sacrifices, recognitions…)
3. Names and addresses of the people from whom further information about the nominee could be obtained.
4. Name and address of the nominator